Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?
collapse

Author Topic: GoDaddy Supports SOPA  (Read 4342 times)

Knossos

• Administrator
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
    • Killers for Hire
GoDaddy Supports SOPA
« on: December 22, 2011, 10:56:05 pm »
Real simple: Godaddy supports SOPA http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/nmnie/godaddy_supports_sopa_im_transferring_51_domains/

Brandon and I have voted with our (his :-D ) dollar and moved all our domains to name.com

www.killers4hire.com
Seventeen years and counting! August 5, 1998.

Real Life Division
irc.enterthegame.com #K4H

WOW Division

AmginE

• K4H Members
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
Re: GoDaddy Supports SOPA
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 10:07:37 am »
yeah, fuck godaddy. I moved to namecheap years ago. When does the narwhal bacon?

Holocaust

• Administrator
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.killers4hire.com
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 10:18:39 am »
At midnight bitch.
[K4H]Holocaust
www.killers4hire.com
EIGHTEEN years and counting! August 5, 1998.

WoW Division

"Let me tell you why I suck as a salesman. Let's say I go into some guys office. Let's say he's even remotely interested in buying something. Well then I get all excited. I'm like Jo Jo the idiot circus boy with a pretty new pet. The pet is my possible sale. How I love my pet. So I pet it and I stroke it and I massage it. I love it. I love my little naughty pet. You're naughty! And then I take my naughty pet and I go gszdkgs gszdkgs. OHHH!! I killed it!! I killed my sale!"

Vacho

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 10:03:05 am »
Why is this an issue? Do we have something to hide? Are we making knock off goods or running some kind of pharmacy that I was not told about?
"Fuckign mouths since 1980"

"If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier."

"FINGERBANG!!!!!"

Holocaust

• Administrator
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 11:55:59 am »
No, its about the government having more control than they should over the internet.  China has something called the great firewall of China, and that is honestly what the US is trying to create with SOPA and PIPA.  They are caving to business interests when the whole of the internet does not want these things.  And since the US is such a major player with the Internet, it has the chance to affect the entire world not just the US.  Basically, if someone were to come on our forums, someone we didnt even know, even if it was a bot, and post a link to a movie that was copyrighted.  Zack or I could be sued, and our web site taken down because some rogue thing posted randomly on our site.  Thats not how this should work.

On top of that they have already passed the Defense Authorization Act which had verbage in there that allows them to indefinitely detain full fledged American citizens without a chance at a hearing.  All these things are just giving more power to a government that I am becoming more and more afraid of.  People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.  They are caving to businesses and doing whats best for them, while saying fuck you to all their constituents, creating a military state.
[K4H]Holocaust
www.killers4hire.com

WoW Division

"Let me tell you why I suck as a salesman. Let's say I go into some guys office. Let's say he's even remotely interested in buying something. Well then I get all excited. I'm like Jo Jo the idiot circus boy with a pretty new pet. The pet is my possible sale. How I love my pet. So I pet it and I stroke it and I massage it. I love it. I love my little naughty pet. You're naughty! And then I take my naughty pet and I go gszdkgs gszdkgs. OHHH!! I killed it!! I killed my sale!"

Vacho

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 04:05:02 pm »
What can happen is not always what will happen. This bill also has verbiage that prevents people selling pirated movies and knock off merchendice. Along with that it would effectively shut down illegal pharmaceutical sites that sell substandard and even toxic mess to people. Everything has its bad points.

In most cases the government agencies granted these executive powers use them in only the most extreme circumstances as abuse is met with severe consequences.  I may be slightly biased but I see some benefits in a military state. When you show that left to your own devices you provide nothing of contribution, maybe you don't deserve free thought.

Now having said that, "who decides who contributes?" Well, I can tell you certainly not the government. I would love to allow people to govern themselves but some people are just too stupid. It's how we got to where we are now.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:10:22 pm by Vacho »
"Fuckign mouths since 1980"

"If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier."

"FINGERBANG!!!!!"

Holocaust

• Administrator
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 04:14:04 pm »
Military state is the opposite of what the United States was founded upon.  You convert to a military state or even have provisions that do, and you have unraveled everything that we have worked so hard to make.  Granted you worked harded than most, and as always thank you for that.
[K4H]Holocaust
www.killers4hire.com

WoW Division

Rhyth

• GPI Members
  • w00t
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 04:43:47 pm »
All i see this is just a power grab by the government.  They always say this will be used for this but there is way to much wiggle room in there for this to be abused.

In the end this will just snow ball till the internet is locked down so tight and heavily monitored everything we take for granted now will most likely be gone.  It would probably end up like what China has right now.  So much stuff from the internet is heavily censored in China and its really retarded what you have to do in order to get anything in/out. 

The other issue is the stuff that you mentioned about it supposed to prevent people from selling pirated movies/knockoff merchandise/ bad medicine  is there are  probably some laws that deal with this.  Only issue is they are not enforced.  The same thing applies to gun laws they keep trying to pass, there are tons already on the damn law books but they are not enforced.

Jafaelo

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 05:49:24 pm »
I absolutely LOATHE the "if you have nothing to hide you have no reason to be scared" statement.  I value my privacy because it's my right as an individual, not because I'm hiding something.  Why do you trust this government more than the government of China or Saudi Arabia?  What makes America less likely to abuse the rights of it's people than any other oppressive government throughout history?  The only thing that sets America above any of these other places is the ideals that the nation was founded upon and have struggled to hold onto throughout our short history, if you disregard those then you negate any reason to trust the government in the first place.

This act is scary.   The Defense Authorization act is scarier.   The actions of various police departments against peaceful protesters across America these last few months is also scary.  We make jokes and start meme's and make goofy comic strips, but the fact is that every day we lose more liberty and it isn't the terrorists that are taking it away from us, it's our own elected officials.

<End Libertarian/Anarcho-capitalist rant>

Holocaust

• Administrator
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 10:22:09 pm »
Right there with ya Eric.
[K4H]Holocaust
www.killers4hire.com

WoW Division

Maledaar

• GPI Members
  • n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 11:37:51 am »
Real simple: Godaddy supports SOPA http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/nmnie/godaddy_supports_sopa_im_transferring_51_domains/

Brandon and I have voted with our (his :-D ) dollar and moved all our domains to name.com

shooting from the hip, my best guess is that some companies like Apple and the music industry lobbied heavily to get this written. Because none, or very little of this would negatively effect them, but with HUGE benefits in revenue. It's a shame that our elected officials cave so easily when people throw money at them. Circus monkeys for a bag of peanuts. Just about every piece of legislation is to benefit the IRS (read: Federal government's paycheck) or because a large company paid enough influential elected officials to write the law and lobby for it to pass.

Jafaelo

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 04:26:57 pm »
Yes, but to be fair our public officials also caved at the public outrage and didn't pass the bill, so there's that at least.

grip

• GPI Officers
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 09:12:38 am »
Welcome CISPA

SOPA changes name to CISPA

https://torrentfreak.com/draconian-privacy-invasion-bill-continues-to-gain-support-120404/

The latest attempt by Congress to try to regulate and control the Internet is no longer known as SOPA but CISPA: the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act. The SOPA-like bill would give companies the power to collect information on their subscribers and hand it over to the government and all they have to do is request it. Kendall Burman, senior national security fellow for the Center for Democracy and Technology, joins Liz Wahl to talk about what this means for online freedoms.
gripenfelter[X-D]

* Recent Posts

[K4H]dafreak by Holocaust
[January 12, 2017, 04:39:51 pm]

Re: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right? by ceeje
[December 25, 2016, 08:53:28 pm]

Re: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right? by Jafaelo
[December 04, 2016, 10:45:55 am]

Re: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right? by DustinFedora
[December 04, 2016, 03:58:14 am]

Re: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right? by ceeje
[December 03, 2016, 12:52:57 pm]