Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?
collapse

Author Topic: What cans are you using?  (Read 5369 times)

AmginE

• K4H Members
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
What cans are you using?
« on: August 09, 2012, 09:11:27 am »
I've recently gotten into headphones (another expensive hobby). I picked up some Fostex orthodynamic T50RP's which are way too heavy and neutral for gaming. Got some MeElectronics M6's and I realize I hate IEM's for gaming.

I started looking at the gaming headphones like the Plantronics Gamecom they demo'd at qcon. But after reading a ton of reviews, audiophiles say gaming headsets are overpriced and suck. So I bought what they recommended, Audio Technica ad700's. Which are terrible. They have these special pads that hold the cans on your head, but the pads are so weak and the cans so large it just wiggles and moves around. The supra aural build leaks so much i can hear the game better with the headphones off. Returned those, and now have Steelseries Sibera V2 which are perfect. So much for listening to the experts.

SK.Rapha playing Cypher to prepare for Dubai

the pair that's on that guy's head. Therefore better headphone = better player = i can finally dominate homocrust.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:18:34 am by AmginE »

Holocaust

• Administrator
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.killers4hire.com
Re: What cans are you using?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 09:45:24 am »
Actually those are the exact headphones I have, too.  Except mine are white.
[K4H]Holocaust
www.killers4hire.com
EIGHTEEN years and counting! August 5, 1998.

WoW Division

"Let me tell you why I suck as a salesman. Let's say I go into some guys office. Let's say he's even remotely interested in buying something. Well then I get all excited. I'm like Jo Jo the idiot circus boy with a pretty new pet. The pet is my possible sale. How I love my pet. So I pet it and I stroke it and I massage it. I love it. I love my little naughty pet. You're naughty! And then I take my naughty pet and I go gszdkgs gszdkgs. OHHH!! I killed it!! I killed my sale!"

Krack

• GPI Members
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 09:52:40 am »
My bottleneck in FPS is my mouse now. What do you all use?
[K4H]ttt517
www.killers4hire.com
SEVENTEEN years and counting! August 5, 1998.

RA3 Division
irc.enterthegame.com #K4H

AmginE

• K4H Members
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 10:10:32 am »
Actually those are the exact headphones I have, too.  Except mine are white.

Well there goes my advantage.

My bottleneck in FPS is my mouse now. What do you all use?

G9x. It works but I don't think it's that much of an advantage. My next mouse is the intellimouse explorer 1.1. Being able to mess with DPI and stuff just messes me up.

This is on sale though:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055QZ216/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=02R0K9B8GT1QHP8AM8YX&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:23:32 am by AmginE »

Krack

• GPI Members
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 10:37:05 am »
That Logitech looks like a winner for me. Don't need anything amazing, just better than this wireless crap mouse.
[K4H]ttt517
www.killers4hire.com
SEVENTEEN years and counting! August 5, 1998.

RA3 Division

Knossos

• Administrator
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
    • Killers for Hire
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 01:53:19 pm »
I prefer the G400. It's what I run with (also use the older MX518 at work)
I had the G9x but gave it to my girlfriend. The hand was too large for it and would get really uncomfortable after an hour or two of gaming.

As for headphones, I run the bassy Beyerdynamic DT770's http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/studio-and-stage/studio-headphones/dt-770-pro.html
Don't expect to be able to hear anyone talking to you though (I'm dead to the world at LAN Parties). But for solo gaming/music, it doesn't get much better short of spending $1000's on headphones except the only a bit more expensive DT990's.

Beyerdynamic also released headsets based on these headphones after I had purchased mine: http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/gaming/mmx-300.html

www.killers4hire.com
Seventeen years and counting! August 5, 1998.

Real Life Division

WOW Division

Holocaust

• Administrator
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 03:22:59 pm »
I have had two G400's and those things just came out like a year ago.  The cord as it enters the mouse keeps causing the mouse to disconnect and reconnect.  I went back to an intellimouse explorer 3.0.  I believe its been updated with higher DPI.

What will really help you is a 120Hz monitor.  It looks weird on TVs with real people, but with pixar movies it looks great, and with video games on the computer it really makes it a lot smoother and closer to what our old CRT monitors looked like.
[K4H]Holocaust
www.killers4hire.com

WoW Division

"Let me tell you why I suck as a salesman. Let's say I go into some guys office. Let's say he's even remotely interested in buying something. Well then I get all excited. I'm like Jo Jo the idiot circus boy with a pretty new pet. The pet is my possible sale. How I love my pet. So I pet it and I stroke it and I massage it. I love it. I love my little naughty pet. You're naughty! And then I take my naughty pet and I go gszdkgs gszdkgs. OHHH!! I killed it!! I killed my sale!"

AmginE

• K4H Members
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 03:23:57 pm »
I was checking out the Beyerdynamics but I didn't want to spend 200 on some headphones, and then have to buy an amp. I have a Xonar DX soundcard that probably could have done the job, but I like try on headphones before committing. I couldn't find them locally.

Holo, yeah I got a Acer G235hz monitor. It really does make a difference. I think my biggest problem is i screw with my configuration too much to become comfortable. I just went to 20cm/360 from like 9cm/360. Now I can barely hit anything.

On that note do you guys rest your whole hand on the mouse and pivot with your elbow, or rest your wrist on the pad and pivot with your wrist?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:28:46 pm by AmginE »

Holocaust

• Administrator
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 04:03:44 pm »
Zack will tell you I screw with my config and mouse settings far too much.  Go look up mark C mouse fix.  There is a program in there called mousemovement.  It will tell you if you have mouse accel on or not.  That REALLY has been screwing with me.
[K4H]Holocaust
www.killers4hire.com

WoW Division

Jafaelo

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 04:52:39 pm »
I have Creative HS-1200 wireless headphones.  They were about $120 which isnt much but its the most I've ever spent on em.  I've had to resolder wires and use a little electrical tape to keep one side attached, but they get the job done without tethering me to my PC.

GerudoX

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 10:19:31 pm »
The cords keep wearing out on my headsets.  It sucks because I don't even use them that much.  Anyone tried cordless ones?
I'm a move with the wrist kinda guy.

Also, does the 120hz crap help even if your running under 60fps?  I'm assuming it's the same as the TV, where it can disply 120fps even when running a 24fps movie.  I hate it on my TV, but I would love to see what it would do on my comp.  I just have a dated system and barely squeeze out 30-40 fps on anything anymore.

_______________________________________ _______
"Let's look at Paul Allen's card."
"Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, he even has a watermark."

grip

• GPI Officers
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 07:09:09 am »
gripenfelter[X-D]

Jafaelo

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 07:28:00 am »
Just saw these on Kotaku, if you're in the market for a new headset these are on sale pretty cheap.

http://dealzon.com/deals/logitech-gaming-headset#logitech-g35-surround-sound-gaming-headset

AmginE

• K4H Members
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 10:28:12 am »
The cords keep wearing out on my headsets.  It sucks because I don't even use them that much.  Anyone tried cordless ones?
I'm a move with the wrist kinda guy.

Also, does the 120hz crap help even if your running under 60fps?  I'm assuming it's the same as the TV, where it can disply 120fps even when running a 24fps movie.  I hate it on my TV, but I would love to see what it would do on my comp.  I just have a dated system and barely squeeze out 30-40 fps on anything anymore.

From what I read before buying one, 120hz is directly related to fps. So if you're running 60fps games 120hz won't make a difference.

Holocaust

• Administrator
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 10:51:29 am »
It's being able to vertical sync at 120Hz instead of 60 I believe.  If you turn vertical sync off, everything starts tearing to keep the frames up at 120 (or whatever).  However when you turn vertical sync on it limits the frames to 60fps but theres no tearing.  So with 120Hz, you can be tear free at 120fps.
[K4H]Holocaust
www.killers4hire.com

WoW Division

* Recent Posts

[K4H]dafreak by Holocaust
[January 12, 2017, 04:39:51 pm]

Re: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right? by ceeje
[December 25, 2016, 08:53:28 pm]

Re: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right? by Jafaelo
[December 04, 2016, 10:45:55 am]

Re: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right? by DustinFedora
[December 04, 2016, 03:58:14 am]

Re: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right? by ceeje
[December 03, 2016, 12:52:57 pm]

* Top Poster