Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?
collapse

Author Topic: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right?  (Read 81857 times)

DustinFedora

• GPI Members
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 10:43:43 pm »
Niiiiiiiiiiiiice. Does she make your new Hero Power golden also?

Zarniwoop

• GPI Members
  • Veteran
  • Zarniwoop#1300 - Tuboheals
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 08:58:59 am »
Niiiiiiiiiiiiice. Does she make your new Hero Power golden also?
That makes me wonder - does a golden Executus turn the player into a golden Rag?
Ugh, I'm all scuttled out!

CliK

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 12:33:14 pm »
No big deal, just a golden Justicar Truehart, and an Aviana in the following pack. 

Spent 30 bucks opening night for nothing, 10 bucks tonight gets me my first golden legendary, a second legendary, and a couple golden epics.

So how much money have you put into this game? You up to 4 digits yet?

I think this is why I don't like the game so much. It kind of follows the pay to win model that I so despise. That and the matchmaking is absolutely shit. Among other things..

Jafaelo

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 01:17:10 pm »
It doesn't follow a pay to win model at all.  You have to pay to be competitive with multiple decks but having all the cards does NOT mean you will reach legend anytime soon.  If you simply invest the amount of money you would to buy the game ($40-$50) you will get a nice selection of cards to build a competitive deck, then you can run arenas and do quests to make gold to buy more packs and slowly fill out your collection.  There are very cheap decks that can get you to legend just as easily as one with 8 legendaries, arguably faster.  Look up Face Hunter or Zoo Warlock.   Face hunter is one of the best and fastest decks in the game and has no legendaries or epics.

As for me, I love opening packs.  And since I came into posession of 3 years of free wow, I put my wow sub money into hearthstone, and then if I get frustrated I might go drop a few bucks on a few packs to take the edge off.  I've definitely spent a few hundred bucks on the game, but nowhere near wow levels.

But I'm telling you, if you cared, you could build a face hunter tomorrow, practice, never spend a dollar, and eventually hit legend (once you learned the game).

That said you're right, matchmaking isn't great and the ladder system needs a revamp.  But I'm pretty sure that's in the pipeline.

DustinFedora

• GPI Members
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 01:35:11 pm »
I think this is why I don't like the game so much. It kind of follows the pay to win model that I so despise. That and the matchmaking is absolutely shit. Among other things..

All CCGs will contain at least a small "pay to win" element. It's the biggest downside to the genre and if you're not a fan that's cool, but really Hearthstone's business model is on the more consumer-friendly side of the spectrum. While it's true you cannot directly trade cards with other players as you can in other large CCGs, there is a card crafting system and you can get a lot of cards for free each week, so it's pretty much a wash. Provided you are diligent about the quest system (admittedly a pain at times), by the time you've put in enough hours to get good at the game, you'll have built up enough resources to have a decent size collection, certainly enough for a good deck or two plus the tools to tweak it as you move up the ladder.

Believe me, you put a proven deck, full of epics and legendaries, in the hands of a lesser experienced (or simply worse) player, and that person will lose to decks of nothing but commons and rares in the hands of someone more skilled.

Now you may have a point in about a year's time if Blizzard doesn't restrict the cards that can be played on ladder. As the game grows and more cards come out, being able to draw from the entire stock of cards, as a long-time player can, erects a massive barrier to entry for new players, forcing them to put in a ton of time or money to be competitive, but the game isn't to that point yet.

What issues have you guys had with matchmaking? I have had very few, and none since they tweaked the non-ladder matchmaking a while back.

CliK

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 01:35:22 pm »
It would be so much better if you could complete quests against the AI. Why the fuck do I have to play against people when I have no fucking clue what I'm doing or have a deck setup at all? Then you would be able to build your decks without the stress of getting completely stomped 10 games in a row before you get your first win for said quest. They do it with hots, why don't they do it with hearthstone :(.

The concept of the game intriguing me, but the broken matchmaking and inability to make any worthwhile decks without paying just break my heart makes me hate the game. I've quit games before because the matchmaking isn't balanced. (*cough* fuck you Starcraft 2 *cough*). I'm too much of a competitor to be getting rofl stomped all the damn time.

What issues have you guys had with matchmaking? I have had very few, and none since they tweaked the non-ladder matchmaking a while back.

When I tried to play hearthstone (again). I got matched up against people that had decks built, and took me out in 6 turns or less. For. Multiple. Games. The one person I could beat, got super lucky and got another taunt character right when he needed it and prevented me from winning.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 01:42:16 pm by CliK »

Jafaelo

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 02:16:02 pm »
Well you have to lose to get down to the right MMR.  You could just throw 5 games in a row and you'd probably be down into the people with less skill.

Do you net-deck at all?  The easiest way to get good is to find a proven deck online, copy it, and play some games.  Then you'll know it isn't your deck that's the problem.  You can work on deck building once you get better.

You also need to adapt to the "meta".  If you're being taken out on turn 6 that means you are facing a lot of aggro, which means you need to put cards in your deck that counter aggro.  Taunts, heals, etc.  That's why I love hearthstone, it isn't about throwing cards together and diving in, you have to know the state of the game as a whole, and learn how other classes play.

Jafaelo

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 02:23:54 pm »
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/276624-s16-legendary-aggro-paladin

There's an article that features a cheap, meta-effective aggro paladin deck.  It explains the cards, the mulligan, and basically how to play the deck.  It's basically an updated version of the deck i cut my teeth on (aggro paladin is fun: slam face, don't really trade, win by turn 6).  Only one epic card that could be traded for a Sen'Jin Shieldmasta or other low cost taunt.

Not trying to sell you on a game you've decided you don't like.  Just saying that there are ways to learn and improve that maybe you didn't know about.  HOTS is kind of a dive in and play til you get better kinda game, but Hearthstone really benefits from research outside of it, which some people might not be into, but I dig.

CliK

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 02:52:21 pm »
Well you have to lose to get down to the right MMR.  You could just throw 5 games in a row and you'd probably be down into the people with less skill.

Do you net-deck at all?  The easiest way to get good is to find a proven deck online, copy it, and play some games.  Then you'll know it isn't your deck that's the problem.  You can work on deck building once you get better.

You also need to adapt to the "meta".  If you're being taken out on turn 6 that means you are facing a lot of aggro, which means you need to put cards in your deck that counter aggro.  Taunts, heals, etc.  That's why I love hearthstone, it isn't about throwing cards together and diving in, you have to know the state of the game as a whole, and learn how other classes play.

I hear the statement about the MMR thing for league, and starcraft and I still don't get why it is so hard. Both of those, it matches me up against people WAY higher than me. Starcraft, I wasn't at that level so I get stomped. League on the other hand, I'm supposed to be at that level but it won't put me there. League also has other major issues I have gripes with in all this, but that is besides that point. Most people for those say it takes about 100 games for it to even out. That is a ton of games, probably going out to a couple months to half a year. By then, I'll be at a different skill level than what I'm at now. Ugh.
Edit: yes, I probably sound like I'm whining a lot. But I'm very particular with online games that are pvp.

I've already said I don't like to lose. Even if it is to even out my mmr, i'll get frustrated and say fuck that before I'll ever get to that point.

All the decks I see online, all required cards I didn't have. So hard to do that. :(
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 03:36:40 pm by CliK »

Lightstalker

• GPI Officers
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 04:59:53 pm »
No big deal, just a golden Justicar Truehart, and an Aviana in the following pack. 

Spent 30 bucks opening night for nothing, 10 bucks tonight gets me my first golden legendary, a second legendary, and a couple golden epics.

can you chose any hero power?

Zarniwoop

• GPI Members
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 05:01:39 pm »
It would be so much better if you could complete quests against the AI. Why the fuck do I have to play against people when I have no fucking clue what I'm doing or have a deck setup at all? Then you would be able to build your decks without the stress of getting completely stomped 10 games in a row before you get your first win for said quest. They do it with hots, why don't they do it with hearthstone :(.
1 - playing against AI in Hearthstone is truly worthless. You won't get better at the game by playing the AI.
2 - That is in direct contrast to games like HotS since those games have champion mechanics that can only be practice in-game. You can theorycraft and research all you want but if you don't hit Q in the right direction at the right time you won't perform the correct action. Hearthstone has none of those mechanics. (Plus HotS has the INCREDIBLY STUPID champion leveling system that essentially forces you to level a new champ in non-pvp games before going into pvp with it or you're just worse since you haven't unlocked all the skills.)

And while I have never gone above rank 18 in Heathstone, I do find the 'casual' matchmaking to be just dumb. It seems to be truly random so if you're looking to get better or complete quests, even with a 'bad' deck, just play ranked. I'm pretty sure I've lost well more than 50% of my casual games.
Lastly, if you really don't want to pvp for quests, just keep recycling until you get Total Domination (100g quest) and win your 7 games against an AI.

Jafaelo

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 05:08:05 pm »
No, it upgrades your current hero power.  Paladin spawns 2 dudes, mage does 2 damage, priest heals for 3, etc.

And yes, casual mode is the worst.  I only do it to test new decks when i dont want to tank my rating in ranked.

CliK

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 06:03:18 pm »
2 - That is in direct contrast to games like HotS since those games have champion mechanics that can only be practice in-game. You can theorycraft and research all you want but if you don't hit Q in the right direction at the right time you won't perform the correct action. Hearthstone has none of those mechanics. (Plus HotS has the INCREDIBLY STUPID champion leveling system that essentially forces you to level a new champ in non-pvp games before going into pvp with it or you're just worse since you haven't unlocked all the skills.)

Not true. Only you hit a certain level overall (25 maybe?), you unlock all spells for heroes. And i've done just fine going into pvp in heroes without having all the spells or knowing the champion. Do the same thing in league with descent results :D

Zarniwoop

• GPI Members
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 07:03:05 pm »
Not true. Only you hit a certain level overall (25 maybe?), you unlock all spells for heroes. And i've done just fine going into pvp in heroes without having all the spells or knowing the champion. Do the same thing in league with descent results :D
Didn't know that about reaching lvl 25 (which takes way too long), but until then if you don't have all the character's skills, even if you're an amazing player, you're still nerfing yourself. So yeah there's a way around it, but the fact that it even exists in the first place is incredibly stupid. (I have a very similar gripe about the Rune system in LoL - it's a nerf to those who haven't played as much regardless of those players' skill level)

Lightstalker

• GPI Officers
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2015, 08:28:13 am »
Pat, its taken me a long time but i have had good luck completing all the quests playing against people in the casual match up and in the ranked match up after the 15th of the month.

I use Icy-Viens to find pre built basic decks and i use the quest gold for both new decks and to open the solo adventures for those legendary cards

im getting there, still capped out at lv 18 but its getting more fun

* Recent Posts

[K4H]dafreak by Holocaust
[January 12, 2017, 04:39:51 pm]

Re: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right? by ceeje
[December 25, 2016, 08:53:28 pm]

Re: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right? by Jafaelo
[December 04, 2016, 10:45:55 am]

Re: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right? by DustinFedora
[December 04, 2016, 03:58:14 am]

Re: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right? by ceeje
[December 03, 2016, 12:52:57 pm]