Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?
collapse

Author Topic: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right?  (Read 44230 times)

Jafaelo

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right?
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2015, 11:09:49 am »
I heard an interview with the creators and they said if two cards are within 3 points or so of each other it is basically a coin flip.  I find that every draft i usually go against the app 2 or 3 times just to fit my play style.  I like a little more control and they sometimes prioritize mediocre minions over decent removal cards.

Zarniwoop

• GPI Members
  • Veteran
  • Zarniwoop#1300 - Tuboheals
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2015, 11:24:02 am »
Yeah, I did that this time and got more consistent results. I also read http://hearthstoneplayers.com/arena-class-tier-list/ which was written by the creators of the app and it continuously mentions how the game, even in arena, has slowed down yet the app was still constantly pushing me to take a lot of 1-3cost minions. It seems like having a midrange deck with a few good late threats is better than having an strong early game deck that runs out of steam entirely on turn 8 or 9. I actually recorded my Druid run today, but due to utterly throwing 2 games from playing too fast I don't think I'm going to upload it at all... lol  Maybe I'll put up the draft and a couple of the matches to give people an idea of what the app is like.
Ugh, I'm all scuttled out!

Jafaelo

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2015, 03:03:59 pm »
I made a new wacky deck I've been playing with and actually winning.  It will be hard to build because it uses a couple of shitty legendaries I have that nobody would purposefully craft, but you could trade Gormok the Impaler and Justicar Trueheart out for a couple of knife juggalos and probably have a stronger deck... though not as fun.  The decklist is too long to fit on one screenshot, so just remember that it also has a Blessing of Might in the one drop spot.

The reason this deck is working is because Paladin is so prevalent, and what does every paladin on earth have on turn 2?  Shielded minibot.  If you have a Blood Knight in your hand, you can often drop your own minibot on turn 2, then eat both the shields on turn 3 for a 9/9.  Even if you dont, you can eat his shield and drop a 6/6 on turn 3.  Plus it works in late game, and combos with Argent Squires which are usually totally worthless in late game.  Also, after Justicar Trueheart upgrades your hero power, and you use your Murloc night, youre basically filling the board with just your hero power, which is lots of food for the Bolvar.  All of these cards are easily countered with BGHs and Silences, but the idea is to have enough big threats, and a board full of buffable tokens, that you can eat up all their removal while aggroing them down.  But even if you dont, its fun to watch them get totally fucking confused when they see cards like Blood Knight and Bolvar Fordragon come out.  I call the deck "Glory to the Sin'dorrrmrrgrrble"

Jafaelo

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2015, 10:06:10 pm »
Alright, here's another screenshot.  Probably the best Arena deck I've ever drafted.  So far I'm 7-0, I usually go 5-3.  Perfect minion curve, 2 polymorphs, 2 fireballs, 2 sludge belchers, 3 flamestrikes, and a blizzard for good measure

Lightstalker

• GPI Officers
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2015, 10:58:12 pm »
lol 3 flame strikes baller

Jafaelo

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2015, 01:20:47 am »
Well, the good news is I got my second 12 win run ever.  The bad news is it wasn't perfect.  I went 11-0 then went up against a pally where we both had 2 health and he got me with a Stormpike Commando.  Then I got salty and the next guy beat me too.

Got 340 gold, a golden common card, and a GVG pack with an epic.

Jafaelo

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2015, 11:29:56 am »
OK Joel, if you liked the arena overlay you might like this one too.  It's an overlay for constructed play.  It is called Hearthstone Deck Tracker, you can download it here: https://github.com/Epix37/Hearthstone-Deck-Tracker

It pops up a very informative overlay showing what cards you've used, what you have left, what your opponent used, and what your chances to draw a card are.  Also if you input your decks into the accompanying program it will track your wins and losses so you can know what decks you are having the best luck with.  It's pretty cool so far, I just started playing with it.   

Zarniwoop

• GPI Members
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2015, 12:15:58 am »
I just went 0-3 in arena with a Paladin deck that was pretty bad, but definitely not the worst deck I've played. All 3 opponents got perfect RNG and topdecks.

On the other hand, I got a Confessor Paletress.

*shrug*

Jafaelo

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2015, 08:14:45 am »
I feel ya.  I've played 15-20 hours in the last two weeks and moved up exactly two stars.  I've decided that it cant possibly be that much bad luck, and I'm actually just not very good, so I'm trying to relearn the game.

I have to take a break from Arena for a while.  Too many Paladins and Mages.

CliK

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2015, 11:47:52 am »
All 3 opponents got perfect RNG and topdecks.

This is exactly why I refuse to play this dumb game. Too much rng and just total luck, not skill.

Jafaelo

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2015, 04:28:15 pm »
Yet the same people are consistently in the top brackets in all of the tournaments.  Why is that?  Are they just luckier?

Poker is all luck too if you're only talking about the cards you draw.

CliK

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2015, 05:40:16 pm »
Yet the same people are consistently in the top brackets in all of the tournaments.  Why is that?  Are they just luckier?

Poker is all luck too if you're only talking about the cards you draw.

I don't care for poker, but I feel like a lot of that is reading your opponent and knowing what they could have. Plus being able to bluff.

Jafaelo

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2015, 08:58:40 pm »
The same goes for hearthstone.  You have to know that it's a bad idea to Muster for Battle against Druid on turn 3, because there's a chance he has swipe, so you have to balance risk vs reward.  There's a lot more to it than just playing whatever cards pop out of your deck.

CliK

• GPI Officers
  • Get a Life?!
  • Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2015, 09:25:24 pm »
The same goes for hearthstone.  You have to know that it's a bad idea to Muster for Battle against Druid on turn 3, because there's a chance he has swipe, so you have to balance risk vs reward.  There's a lot more to it than just playing whatever cards pop out of your deck.

I have no idea what you just said, but i'll take your word on it. Like I said, I don't like poker either (or gambling in general). Bit too much rng for me. That and i'm too frugal to play anything with money at stake.

Zarniwoop

• GPI Members
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2015, 12:29:34 am »
I feel like Hearthstone has as much RNG as raiding in WoW, it just happens that each game ends rather than being able to fight the boss again as is the case in an RNG-caused wipe. Usually the RNG goes pretty even within the game itself or at the very least over the course of a few games. Arena is pretty much the only place in Hearthstone (outside of tournaments) that RNG can fuck you hard and fast since 3 total losses and you're done; so 3 RNG losses (or really 2 plus an RNG+misplay loss) can kick ya right in the nads. But it's free (if you want it to be) and even with 0 wins you still get a pack. Does it suck? Yeah, every loss sucks. But it doesn't suck any worse than wiping for an hour on Socrethar :P
When it comes to constructed (so ranked and tournaments) it's much much less about RNG and far more about planning (and sometimes the plan is 'hope to get lucky'). Usually the people who are constantly whining about RNG in constructed are either playing less-than-great decks or don't know enough about the decks they're playing against to be able to play against them properly (like going up against Velhari using the strategy from Zakuun, or just no strat at all).
Lastly, Arena also has the deck creation RNG element. To create your Arena deck you get 30 choices of 1 of 3 cards (so see 3 cards, pick 1, 3 new cards pop up, repeat...). I drafted a mediocre-at-best deck so I wasn't likely to win many games anyway, but then my opponents got lucky and had better decks so I ended up not winning any. I also probably could have played each game better.

I feel ya.  I've played 15-20 hours in the last two weeks and moved up exactly two stars.  I've decided that it cant possibly be that much bad luck, and I'm actually just not very good, so I'm trying to relearn the game.

I have to take a break from Arena for a while.  Too many Paladins and Mages.
Going 0-3 as a Pally in Arena really hurt since Pally is usually so strong. As for rank, are you playing Aggro? Cuz I got to 15 with aggro druid and then lost 7 in a row before swapping to handlock and getting right back up again. I feel like there's just so much anti-aggro out there that super control is the way to go.

* Recent Posts

[K4H]dafreak by Holocaust
[January 12, 2017, 04:39:51 pm]

Re: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right? by ceeje
[December 25, 2016, 08:53:28 pm]

Re: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right? by Jafaelo
[December 04, 2016, 10:45:55 am]

Re: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right? by DustinFedora
[December 04, 2016, 03:58:14 am]

Re: A couple of youse play Hearthstone, right? by ceeje
[December 03, 2016, 12:52:57 pm]